COV-WID – Combating Virus With Dedication | An initiative of the Karnataka Jesuit Province
Ever since the lockdown was announced in India on March 24th, 2020 in response to containing the COVID-19 pandemic, the Jesuits of Karnataka Province have been involved in relief work in various parts of Karnataka like Bengaluru, Vijayapura, Manvi, Hassan, Kalaburgi, Mundgod, Harihar and Mangaluru.
We have been mainly focusing on the migrant workers, construction workers, landless labourers and daily wage earners who are among the hardest hit population in India. So far we have distributed kits consisting of essential food materials to more than 80,000 families in Bangalore in partnership with other NGOs and to around 5,000 families in Vijayapura, Mundgod, Manvi, Harihar, Kalaburgi, Hassan and Mangaluru.
Apart from the regular distribution of provision kits, various units of the province are also involved in:
- Online Counselling Service.
- Distribution of face masks and other hygiene materials.
- Providing local hospitality to the police personnel deployed on COVID-19 duty in and around our institutions.
- Providing financial assistance to the most vulnerable section of the society – the transgenders.
- Awareness programmes and information on COVID-19 given by the local administration, the elected representatives and health department officials through community radio SARANG of St Aloysius College, Mengaluru.
We have been able to reach out the unreached for the last one month because of the generous contribution of so many people.
We remain ever grateful to all our collaborators, donors, and more than 500 volunteers for generously contributing their mite to this noble venture.
For further information kindly download the bulletin COV-WID